Monday, September 15, 2014

"Assisted Living"

I'm doing a Facebook poetry challenge with my friend David Robbins from September 15th to October 15th, 2014.  I'm going to post my poems here as well.  Our goal is to write and post a poem a day.  Here's my first one!



Assisted Living



My cat
turned into a senior citizen
almost overnight.

She doesn’t have a walker
or carry a cane,
but we take her upstairs to her litter box
so she doesn’t pee
on the bathroom floor,
below.

I don’t mind
putting the water bowl
where she can reach it.

Or feeding her wet food
several times a day,
never too much at once.

She doesn’t play Bingo
or watch TV.

Instead she naps all day,
as if waiting for her
misspent youth to come back.

She still purrs.

We give her vitamins,
it seems to help.

Almost overnight,
our house has become
a Rest Home for Wayward Cats.



No comments:

Post a Comment