Monday, November 2, 2015

"surrender"



surrender


"give me all your money and everything you own,
your pride, and all your achievements and awards.

give me your body, your laughing eyes, your smile.

give me your family, your friends, your favorite pooch.

while you're at it, give me the fields of your youth,
your college romances, your lovers, your husband,
your regrets, your sins.

give me everything.

everything,"

says Death, flicking ashes on my sleeve, his Marlboro dangerously close to the oxygen machine. 

"Want one?"

"You don't have any Kools?"

He lights three cigarettes, gives one to the nurse, who can't see him, and one to me.

"She was so young.  I hate it when they go so soon," says the nurse.

She draws the curtain around my hospital bed.


November 2, 2015
prompt:  surrender





No comments:

Post a Comment