Monday, April 7, 2014

April Poem: "The Well"



The Well



It’s dark here, wet
with the scent of mold.

I’ve been here long years.
I live on treacle and dreams.

If you could but lower
a rope with a swing
and drag me upwards,
that would be nice.

The shines once a day,
for an hour.  Your face,
a white moon peering down.
My jailor, my lover.

Eyes following,
you drop crackers and jugs
of water in a basket,
disappearing into the depths.

So tired of living in this well.
If you could call it living,
which I don’t.

Yesterday, you set boards
against the side.  Tomorrow
it will be hammer and nails.

I must get out.

My fingers touch the ledge
of stones, just out of reach.

A sharp tug is all it takes.
Then you’ll be down here
with me.

Will you be surprised
when I use your dead body
for a footstool?

© Anne Westlund

prompt: write a message poem

No comments:

Post a Comment